Friday, April 11, 2014

RHT: 9 Top Tech Websites for Programmers, from Novice to Expert

by Jacques Daniels  Robert Half Technology
April 11, 2014


Just getting started in programming? These tech websites will help.
I was at a client site a few weeks ago and speaking with someone who asked me how to get started in programming.

I gave him a general list of tech websites that I found valuable, and I thought it would be useful for other developers to see some good resources that I currently use.

These nine tech websites* are also good when you’re just starting out:
  • www.visualstudiomagazine.com: This site is an excellent resource for keeping up with the latest trends in Microsoft Visual Studio. I find it useful if I need to check when new products are being released or new techniques are discovered.
  • http://www.4guysfromrolla.com: I use this site if I need to research best practice techniques on ASP and ASP.NET.
  • www.stackoverflow.com: In my opinion, this is one of the best sites on the web that provides troubleshooting techniques, technology overviews and tutorials on a variety of topics including C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET and T-SQL.
  • www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com: I use this site for taking free online courses provided by Microsoft and its partners. I have taken five courses here and used them to pass my HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript Microsoft Certification Exams.
  • http://redmondmag.com/Home.aspx: I use this site exclusively for keeping up with the latest news at Microsoft — if it happens at Microsoft, this website has it!
  • http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/vbnet_csharp_comparison.html: To keep my skills sharp in Visual Basic and C#, I occasionally spend some time reviewing this document. It shows the different syntax between the two languages.
  • http://www.hanselman.com/blog/: I have been reading and following Scott Hanselman for years. He is a Microsoft employee who provides excellent articles and tips on a variety of topics, including C#, ASP.NET, HTML5 and Visual Studio, and is always providing information the best and hottest third-party tools.
  • http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/: Scott Guthrie is a Vice President @Microsoft who blogs about ASP.NET and the Cloud.
  • http://www.w3schools.com/: This site is maintained by the world wide consortium and presents very good tutorials on PHP, SQL, ASP, ASP.NET, JQuery and CSS.
And don’t forget to check out blog.rht.com for great technical advice on a variety of topics from C#to JavaScript.

If you have any other tech websites you like, please feel free to add them in the comments!

* The majority of these sites are Microsoft-related due to the fact that roughly 90 percent of my development work has been completed using Microsoft tools over the past 18 years. So, the website selection may be a tad bit biased! #feebleattemptatmakingajoke



— Jacques Daniels

Jacques Daniels wrote his first program at the age of twelve, and that’s when he decided he wanted to be a programmer. He worked at IBM his last two years of high school, where he honed his computer and programming skills. He is a Robert Half Salaried Professional who has spent over 13 years developing .NET applications for companies in a variety of industries.

No comments:

Post a Comment